Wildlife Trust Reserve and SSSI - Knelston
Berry Wood is an ancient mixed deciduous woodland, a rarity for this part of Gower. The canopy is made up of predominately oak (pedunculate and sessile) with some birch, ash, hazel, grey sallow, rowan, and aspen. The western side of the wood contains the oldest and largest trees, mostly Oak, estimated to be around 200 years old. The 1841 Llandewi Tithe map shows only the older western portion of the wood, with the eastern part of the wood detailed as scrubland, suggesting the east of the wood has developed or re-established since the tithe map. Apple trees still grow in a triangular orchard on the western boundary, as defined in the 1847 tithe map.
The ground is quite boggy towards the north-west centre of the woodland, ideal conditions for spring flowering marsh marigold and summer flowering yellow flag and opposite-leaved golden saxifrage. The rest of the understorey and field layer are made up from hazel coppice, holly, hawthorn, crab apple, dense bramble, ivy, honeysuckle, patches of braken, and the scarcer narrow buckler-fern and wood millet.
Woodland birds such as blue tit, great tit, treecreeper, nuthatch, woodpeckers, blackcap, buzzard, goldcrest, jay, willow warbler, and woodcock frequent the woods, with mixed finch flocks in winter including brambling.
Public access to the wood follows a footpath across a field which starts opposite the entrance to Southall, or from the other end of the footpath which leads from just east of Berry Farm, and straight through the wood.