Worm's Head Cave
SS 3836 8769
Situated on the most westerly tip of the headland of Worm's Head, about 4.5 metres above the high water mark is one of Gower's least accessible caves which only experienced cavers should attempt to access. The entrance, washed by storm waves, leads to two small chambers, with a short passageway continuing deeper into the Outer Head.
Henry VIII's official antiquarian, John Leland, was intrigued with the cave and wrote:
"There is a wonderfull Hole at the poyant of Worme Heade, but few dare entre it, and Men fable there that a Dore within the spatius Hole hathe be sene withe great Nayles on it".
- John Leland.
Leland retells this local legend and reinforces the belief that behind this nailed shut door lays an underground passage which leads to other caves near Llandybïe and Carreg Cennen Castle in Carmarthenshire. This has since been proved incorrect and excavations have alternatively uncovered human and animal bones such as mammoth, rhinoceros, bear and reindeer; and flint flakes and sling-stone, proving at one time this cave was easier to access.
The cave was first excavated by E. C. Cunnington before 1914. A later excavation, in 1989 by Davies, discovered a rhyolite blade believed to be Upper Palaeolithic, but much archaeological interest may still remain under the clay and disturbances created by a previous excavation in 1923 by Riches, when a large amount of clay was removed from the floor of the second chamber and dumped.