Bishopston Church

St. Teilo's Church

Bishopston Church, situated at the head of Bishopston Valley, is dedicated to St. Teilo, an early "archbishop" of Llandaff. According to the 'Book of Llandaff' - Liber Landavensis - the Parish of Bishopston dates back to the earliest days of the Celtic church when it took the form of a Christian monastic community. This monastic settlement, known as Llandeilo Ferwallt, would have been founded in Gower as a "daughter" church or subsidiary monastry to Teilo's major monastry at Llandeilo Fawr during the turn of the 6th century.

Bishopston Church

The present building was probably built during the 13th century from an earlier chapel. Inside the chancel is an early priscina and the 13th century font appears to have the base from an earlier period. There are also the remains of a medieval cross on the south side of the church. The massive tower has a small pyramidal roof rising within the English type battlement, housing at its foot two bells dated 1713 and 1714.

The church has been restored many times since the original Norman building, with a south porch added in 1851 by Thomas Penrice of Kilvrough, recorded as such for posterity above it's solid oak door. The east window of the chancel has a stained-glass window, which is a memorial to seven men of the parish who lost their lives to the First World War.

The church key is available from the nearby Winston Hotel. Groups should telephone (01792) 232140.

Share Gower

primi sui motori con

Book Swansea accommodation