Located 2 miles south west of Reynoldston, Llanddewi's place in history has been influenced by being the link or route between key north and south Gower villages.

The area has yielded prehistoric finds such as scrapers, flake tool and a Bronze Age polished stone axe.  An earthwork in a field south-west to Llanddewi Church is accepted as evidence of an Iron Age settlement.

Old Henllys 

By the Medieval period, Llanddewi was a well established settlement.  A number of earthworks have been recorded in the area around Llanddewi Church.  Another rectangular enclosure, 24m by 20m, defined by a bank and ditch, lay about one mile west of Llanddewi Church, near the ancient drovers route called Kingshall Lane which leads to Rhossili Down and the sea.  

Kingshall Lane

The remains of this deserted settlement called Old Henllys Moat once comprised a house and croft.  

A free chapel was recorded in surveys (1546 and 1548) by commissioners appointed by Henry VIII.

"founded by whom or for what intent is not known, but it hath been a free chapel for time out of mind"

- Crown Commissioner report, 1546

The chapel was subsequently dissolved by 1548 as part of The Reformation.  Unfortunately, no surviving remains of the chapel are known though it may have been located close to Old Henllys.  

Very close to Old Henllys Moat stands a Grade II listed building called Old Henllys Farmhouse.  The farmhouse was built in the 16th century as a storeyed hall house.  It was later converted into a domestic residence at some point and extended on the east side in the 18th century, with a 20th century kitchen extension to the rear.  

Old Henllys Farmhouse

The large gable end Flemish type chimney on the western end of the farmhouse is now completely obscured and undoubtedly damaged by the ivy which also extends onto the roof.  

Old Henllys Farmhouse

The farmhouse appears to be uninhabited since the death of Gladys Tucker who is buried at Llanddewi Church.  The Tucker family had lived here for more than a century.

Bishop's Palace

Opposite Llanddewi Church, at one time stood an episcopal palace, built by Henry de Gower between 1328-47, as the residence for the Bishops of St David's.  The build was finally abandoned due to rising costs and the lack of a decent water supply.  The palace was eventually demolished between 1362-89 by Bishop Houghton.  

Llanddewi Castle

Theories suggest that the palace site made way for Llanddewi Castle and that part of this building might have been incorporated into the substantial 16th century farmhouse that remains today.  

"A castle is said to have been anciently erected here, the reputed site of which is now occupied by a farm-house, in which some of the walls of the ancient building are reported to be incorporated: there are, however, no records either of the origin or history of the fortress."

- A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833

There are no physical traces of the palace or castle today and not many original features exist of the Tudor house with its modern roof (1956).

Llanddewi Castle Farm

Joomla SEF URLs by Artio

Facebook Comments