Weaver & Company Limited flour mill was a large grain store and processing plant situated near Swansea's North Dock.
Weaver's made flour from imported wheat and then distributed its processed product to the many local bakers in the town and beyond. Such was the importance of Weaver's in the food chain of the locale that it was targeted by the German Luftwaffe during World War II and has been seen by some historians as being the primary draw for the intense bombing of the town in the 'Three Night's Blitz' of February 1941.
The rather imposing building of Weaver's was built in 1897 by the French engineer Français Hennebique was Europe's first multistorey reinforced concrete building.
Miraculously surviving the full might of German bombing during World War II, the company finally closed in the latter half of the same century. The reinforced concrete building proved very difficult to demolish but has now been built upon by the supermarket firm Sainsbury's.
Further buildings associated with the flour mill have now also been lost to history - their space now occupied by part of Swansea's main arterial road - Fabian's Way.
A plaque reads:
THIS COLUMN WAS PART OF
THE OLD WEAVERS MILL
THE FIRST REINFORCED CONCRETE
FRAMED BUILDING BUILT IN BRITAIN
BY FRENCH ENGINEER